The differing of Evan Ryan from the average drummer begins at his perception of the drums. Rather than view drumming as simply a foundation upon which to set other instrumentation, Evan sees a palette from which to pull colors, tones and textures that, beyond simply supporting melody and harmony, can live and interact with the other music being played and help change others perceptions of what drumming is and can be. Evan hadn't lived long before he found himself sitting behind a drum kit. He began at the age of 4 and over the following years steeped himself in the fundaments and discipline of drumming. During his early schooling in the suburbs of Chicago, IL, Evan found himself under the tutelage of several teachers and playing in a wide array of musical groups and outfits of the mid west that helped to advance his understanding of drumming technique and craft. It was after a European tour with his high school jazz group that Evan made his way to Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University where he met two of his greatest mentors, Rob Parton and Paul Wertico. In the hands of these giants, Evans skills were refined and tempered, carrying him to prominence at the CCPA in the top big band, combo, and percussion ensemble. Evan's enthusiasm for music and warm demeanor made him a leading candidate for his mentors to offer new opportunities to, as Paul Wertico remarked, "In addition to his innate musical talent, Evan truly enjoys the process of learning and practicing new things and this gives him the ability and advantage to make any musical challenges to him seem like fun." Over the course of his time at the CCPA, Evan performed shows and played festivals alongside a wealth of jazz heavy hitters including, Bob Mintzer, Tim Hagens, Orbert Davis, Jim McNeely and had the privilege to spend time with Jeff Hamilton. Evan began working in California in 2006 as the drummer for the Disneyland All-American College Band which opened the door to him doing studio and session work along with a film credit as the drummer for Diana Krall's Big Band in Michael Mann's 2009 Public Enemies. However a full time move to the west coast would have to wait as Evan became involved with the Illinois based bands JoBu, The Wick, and The Sami Grisafe Band, which performed extensively and seasoned Evan to the life of a touring musician. Now residing in Los Angles, Evan is continuing to build his musical world by playing live shows with a variety of groups including a nine month stint with Grammy Award Winning funk powerhouse The Dazz Band. Recording sessions with countless artists, including building a home studio for added production value, and The Drum School Los Angles student roster is ever growing ranging in age and ability level. Two years down in LA and Evan is eager to see what the future brings. Please contact with any questions or booking information.
Played Percussion/Drumset on Engagements with:
The DAZZ Band, Diana Krall, Rick Baptist, Wayne Bergeron, Alex Iles, Sal Lozano, Gregg Field, Shelly Berg, Marcus Printup, Dan Higgins, Steve Houghton, Bob Florence, Rob McConnell, Bobby Shew, Rob Parton, Mike Smith, Rob Amster, Lawrence Hobgood, Jim McNeely, Maria Schneider, Tom Garling, Paul Wertico, Dave Douglas, Orbert Davis, Jeff Hamilton, Lou Soloff, Mark Colby, Ron McCurdy, Gloria Van, Robert Chappell, Orland Cotto, Jiggs Whigham, Liam Teague, Bob Mintzer, Ricco Lumpkins, Smokin' Joe Thomas, Sugar Blue, Ilaria Lantieri, Shannan Nicole, Sami Grisafe, Brother John Kattke, VIPER, Matt Hines, Bira, Dorothea Geist, Dave Holden, Will Kennedy, David J. Holman
- David J. Holman Productions
- World Class Audio - Bira
- Film Score Recording Sessions
- Playback Recording Studios - Bria feat. Evan Ryan
- Clear Lake Recording Studios - Dorothea Geist
- Pico Studios - Caleb Schwing
- CRC, Evolution Studios, Studio Chicago -"Atlantis"
- Maxi Media Studios -The Wick- "Wick on Wax"
- Pogo Studios -JoBu- "Bahia Honda"
- Sonic Factory Studios -JoBu- "Journeys On a Beach Universe"
- Institute of Production and Recording - JoBu “Stop Time”
- Capitol Records Studio A - Disney All-American College Band-2006
- Alfred Recording Group-CCPA* Wind Ensemble - 2005,2007
- CRC - CCPA Jazz Orchestra-2004
- Hinge Studios - CCPA Jazz Orchestra-2003
- Twenty-five years developing the craft
- Sam Ash Drum Shop Hollywood
- Electronic Drums/Percussion
- Faculty Member at The Drum School
- Seven+ years of Road Experience
- John Philip Sousa Award Recipient 2003
- Disneyland All-American College Band 2006
- Head of Percussion – The Champaign School of Music, Champaign Il. ('09-11)
- Played Drums in Public Enemies, Directed by Michael Mann
- Studio Drummer/Percussionist "Atlantis" Album Sami Grisafe and Shannon Nicole
- Musical Director/Drummer - The Wick (2010-11)
- JoBu- Rock Reggae Fusion Touring Group ('07-13)
- Benefit Concert with internationally acclaimed opera soloist Amanda Halgrimson
- Played under the baton of: Rob Parton, Steven Squires, Ron McCurdy, Jay Friedman, Cliff Colnot, Meng-Kong Tham, Andrew Grahms
- CCPA Jazz Orchestra '03-'07
- CCPA Orchestra and Wind Ensemble '03-'07
- CCPA Percussion Ensemble '03-'07
- Capital Sound Drum and Bugle Corps Winter '02 (snare)
- Chicago-land All-Star High School Jazz Ensemble 1999-'03
- Yorkville Big Band '00-'02
- DuPage Youth Symphony 1995-2000
Paul Wertico, Jeff Hamilton, Ed Harrison, Earl Talbot, Christian Bourdon, Bob Rummage, Steve Przyzycki, Chick Evans, Vernon A Spevak Jr., Bill Fries
*-Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University **-Naperville Central High School
"I was sitting in my studio one night and thought, why not write a whole album of action music revolving around Evan Ryan on drums? So I did."
David Edward Holden
"He's the type of person with an abundance of enthusiasm and love for music that gives him an extraordinary drive to go that extra step".
"I hope that we will work together again, let me change that to, I KNOW we will work together again."